LIV has not reapplied to World Ranking

May 4, 2025 - 18:42
May 4, 2025 - 18:47
 0
LIV has not reapplied to World Ranking

LIV Golf getting world ranking points would start with the Saudi-funded league applying to the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR), and chairman Trevor Immelman said that first step has not happened.

Immelman, who took over as OWGR chairman three weeks ago, said he has spoken with LIV CEO Scott O'Neil on the phone and met with him for a casual conversation during the Masters.

Sportico reported earlier this week that LIV Golf and the OWGR were in "serious discussions," which Immelman found to be "an interesting choice of words."

"They have not put any application in. Whether that happens or not, I guess time will tell," Immelman said in a telephone interview.

"I have enjoyed getting to know Scott O'Neil over the last few months," he said. "We've spoken on the phone a couple of times. We met in person at the Masters, just really introduction stuff. We're in the same position we have been without any application from their side.

"The ball is in their court."

The OWGR denied LIV's original application in October 2023, saying it could not fairly measure the league with some two dozen other tours around the world because of what amounted to a closed shop and the possibility of competition being compromised by having team scores count simultaneously with individual results.

LIV withdrew its application in May 2024.

LIV now has 54 players — 13 four-man teams and two wild cards — a roster that stays the same (except alternates for injury) all season. It started a "promotions" event that offered three spots at the end of 2023, but that was reduced to one spot last year.

The leader of the Asian Tour's International Series also gets a spot in LIV, provided he's not already a member.

O'Neil replaced Greg Norman as the CEO of LIV Golf this year.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0